Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The start of something new....

I am new to the world of blogging but after the encouragement of some friends I decided to start my own blog and post about my creations in the kitchen and also decided to share some my antics in the dating world.  I am in my 30's and still single, so I have a lot of crazy dating stories!  Who knows how long I will keep this up but it's worth a try!
To start I want to share with you one of my new favorite breakfast items.  I have been making this for a couple of weeks and just love it, Overnight Oats.  If you search Pinterest for this you will find lots of variations and the possibilities are endless.  The idea is by soaking raw oats overnight in a mixture of at least some milk plus other ingredients, in the morning they will be soft enough to eat without any cooking or any other prep required that morning.  The first one I tried was called Chunky Monkey.  It has the oats, milk, vanilla, plain or honey flavored yogurt, 1/2 of a banana, some peanut butter and a handful of chocolate chips.  The next morning it is ready to go and then I had some pecans for a nice crunch. 
Now, this may not look amazing and appetizing that you want to lick the screen, but it is tasty!  I mean c'mon, peanut butter, banana, chocolate chips and pecans, it is hard to go wrong!  I have found that it is a tasty, easy and filling breakfast that is great to just grab and go.  It only takes a couple of minutes to throw together the night before.  I use soy or almond milk and a low carb yogurt from Smiths called Carb Master helps it to not be too high on the unhealthy scale but still makes for a hearty breakfast.  I have actually been trying to have larger breakfasts and smaller dinners in my never ending quest to be healthy when possible. 
Here is the full recipe:
Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats
1/3 cup of old fashioned oats
1/3 cup of almond milk
1 container of vanilla, plain or honey yogurt
1 T of peanut butter: creamy or chunky
1/2 banana
handful of chocolate chips

Now, you can get creative and try different flavors of yogurt and mix-ins based on what you have in your kitchen.  I love this one enough I figure why mess with a good thing?!
In case you are interested, here is the nutrition breakdown:
Fat: 23g
Carbs: 45g
Protein: 16g
Cholesterol: 10mg
Sodium: 260mg
Potassium: 457 mg


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.