Monday, October 7, 2013

Chocolate Candy Bar Goodness

OK, so the official title of this recipe is just Chocolate Candy Bar and I did add the goodness, but it just seems fitting!  It was my friends birthday and I had volunteered to make something yummy.  She didn't have any specific requests and I immediately thought of this one as I have made it for my family a couple of times and everyone loved it.  It has a little bit of everything and it is pretty easy to put together.  The bottom layer of this are crushed chocolate wafer cookies, some butter and sugar. 
Now, if you are lucky enough to have a Winco nearby, you can find these in the bulk section.  I love buying baking ingredients in bulk!  I bought more than I needed for this recipe because I have another coming up that also uses them.  While still in the bag I dropped it around a bit, beat it up a bit and pounded on it a bit.  Don't do this too much in that bag, that twist tie won't keep your crumbs in!  I love to bake, but I have a tendency to be a bit messy!  So I then put a bunch in a bowl and crushed it with my pastry blender.  Crush the cookies in any manner you see fit.

Now, after adding the melted butter and sugar, press into your pan.  For this occasion I used my 9x9 pan, but the original recipe is for a 9x13 pan.  I will give you the amounts for both.  I actually adjusted the filling amounts as I like my layers thick!

After you get that pressed in, put it into the fridge for 20 minutes to get a little hard.  The next layer is my favorite!  Mix 1 8oz package of cream (can use light or regular) with 8oz of cool whip.  I found French Vanilla on sale and used that this time, but any basic variety will work.  I also had some extra sweetened condensed milk on hand and poured some of that in for good measure.  Once that is thoroughly mixed you spoon and spread that onto of your crust layer.
Next, come a healthy layer of toffee chips.  The recipe calls for crushed Score or Heath bars.  I prefer to buy the bagged variety.  I chose to use the plain toffee chips for this middle layer.
Next comes a chocolate layer in the form of chocolate pudding.  I used the large, 6 servings size box of Instant Pudding.  Mix that with 1/12 c of milk till smooth and pour on top of the toffee chips.  Let that sit for about 5 minutes before finishing off with another 8oz of Cool Whip.  Pop that into the fridge for at least 2 hours before you need to serve.  You can also make this up the night before and let it sit over night.  The final step is to sprinkle another layer of toffee chips, for the final layer I do use the toffee with the bits of chocolate on it.  You could also use a crushed up Heath or Score bar.
Go as light or heavy on this as you want!  Looking at this pictures, I am realizing I went way too skimpy!  Still tasted great though.  I do love this dessert for how light it is, but very yummy! 
I mean look at those layers!  How could you resist?  Since this is a dessert and I really don't want to know the nutritional information on it, I'll skip that but here is the recipe with notations for cutting it in half.

Chocolate Candy Bar Goodness:
3 c. finely crushed wafer cookies (2 cups for the half version)
1/2 c of sugar divided (1/3 c for half)
1/2 c of margarine, melted (1/3 c for half)
8 oz of cream cheeses at room temperature (don't change when cutting in half)
2 8oz containers of cool whip (didn't change when cutting in half)
1 c of chopped chocolate coated toffee candy bars divided (or however much suites your fancy)
3 c. of cold milk (don't use soy or almond milk!)
2 pkg. (4 servings) instant chocolate pudding

Mix crushed wafers, melted butter and 1/4 c. of sugar and press into 9x13 pan, refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.
Beat cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Gently stir in half of the whipped topping. Spread evenly over crust; sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the chopped candy bars. Set aside. Pour milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 min. Pour over candy bar layer. Let stand 5 min. or until thickened.
Spread remaining whipped topping over pudding layer. Refrigerate 2 hours or until set. Top with remaining 1/4 cup chopped candy bars. Store in refrigerator.

As I mentioned, I like my layers thick, so when making the smaller pan, I didn't really cut all of the ingredients in half.  Feel free to make those adjustments based on your personal preference. 
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.