Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Muffins

Last week I wrote about Overnight Oats, these muffins have become another breakfast staple for me.  In fact, I like these even more!  They totally taste like I am indulging or cheating, but I'm not!  Made up mainly of oats, banana's and greek yogurt, they aren't nearly as unhealthy as one would think by looking at them or devouring one!
To start, I put my oats in my blender to grind them up, add in the yogurt, honey, eggs, flax seed, baking powder and greek yogurt.  I like to use the Greek Gods brand.  Works great for this and for making ranch for dipping.  Now this recipe calls for 2 ripe bananas.  I don't always have time to make these when my banana's are ripe so I freeze my banana's in chunks.  When the time comes, I take out what appears to be 2 banana's worth and pop them in the microwave until they are soft enough before adding them to my blender.
After blending up all of the ingredients I toss in a handful of pecan pieces and a handful of chocolate chips.  Both are optional.  I only pulse my blender after that as I don't want those last two items to get chopped up any more.  Once they are blended its time to get those babies in muffin tins.  You can choose to either line your muffin tins or spray them generously.  Here is a handy little tip for you, if your dishwasher is either empty or has dirty dishes in it, place your muffin tins on the opened door before spraying.  Keeps your hand clean and keeps the buttery spray from getting on places you will eventually need to clean up!
Ok, so your pans are sprayed and your dough is ready to go.  This is when I'm glad I used my blender as it makes pouring it into the muffin tins so much easier.  Based on the size of my muffin tins, I get 18 of these bad boys.  Right before putting them in my oven I go ahead and sprinkle a couple more pecan pieces and chocolate chips on top since they are yummy and make them look that much better! 
Side note, I love eating dough of almost any variety.  I know there are fears about raw eggs, but I have been doing it for 30 years and never had a problem!  This dough is also tasty so feel free to give it a little try!
Anyway, pop these in the oven and bake them for about 15 minutes or so, depending on the size of the individual muffins.  I usually end up rotating them at the 15 minute mark and bake for 3 more minutes or so.
Take them out, use your willpower to let them cool off at least 5 minutes before ripping into one! 
Not sure if this picture does it justice, but these are really very good!  Especially when the chocolate is still nice and gooey!  If these don't get consumed in the first day, store them in the fridge. 

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins:
2.5 cups old fashioned oats 
1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 TBSP ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas 

Start with oats, grind until fine in blender or food processor.  Add the rest of the ingredients until well blended.  
Optional: Add handful of pecan pieces and chocolate chips.   Blend quickly.  
Pour dough into well greased or lined muffin tins.  Top with additional pecans and chocolate chips, if desired.  Bake 15-18 minutes until toothpick comes or clean.   

Nutritional Info 2 muffins: 
Fat: 6g
Calories: 216
Carbs:37.4
Protein: 5.6g
Cholesteraol: 47.8mg
Sodium: 243.8mg
Potassium: 134mg





No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.