Thursday, March 13, 2014

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Pie

It has been a couple of weeks since my last post, way too long I know, but between getting sick and not cooking or baking as much then I just haven't been in the mood to write!  I have a good one today though.  Super fast, VERY easy, so very yummy and chances are you will almost already have everything in your kitchen!

So if you are someone who loves a good, warm and gooey cookie, this is the dessert for you!
This is essentially a big fat cookie in a pie crust. 
When I said you should have almost everything, I figured that not everyone would have one of those pre-made pie crusts hanging out in their freezer.  I happened to have one as they come in pairs and I had bought some for a dessert that was kinda a failure.  I knew eventually I would make something to use the second crust when I stumbled upon this recipe.  Worked out perfectly as I had everything else needed, including the peanut butter chips!
It comes together super fast, a basic cookie dough recipe, with less flour than normal cookies.
Start with the butter, sugar and eggs, get those creamed up nicely before adding the vanilla and then the flour.
Then you start adding in the goodies ie the chocolate chips, pecans and peanut butter chips.  Now normally I am not one to measure them out in advance into bowls, but man alive it made it so much faster when it came time to add them to the dough!  I didn't end up using all of them in the dough, seemed more than the small amount of dough could handle.  Once it was mixed up, I spooned the dough into my crust (unbaked!).  Trying it along the way of course!
Once it was all in there, I sprinkled some of my now leftover goodies on top.  The recipe I was following said to bake up this bad boy for almost an hour!  Seemed like a super long time, but I trusted the recipe.  Fortunately I checked this over sized cookie at 35 minutes and noticed that it was pretty much done!  I took it out at 38 minutes and worried until we ate it that I would have a giant hockey puck of a cookie!
 So this pie is meant to be served warm.  I couldn't serve it right away so I warmed up each slice before serving with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel syrup.  Fortunately, the actually lack of flour in this pie kept it from getting hard, despite potentially over cooking it.
The edges weren't as amazing as the inside as a result, but it still turned out so good!  Such a comfort dessert when you need one!
Next time I will pay more attention to the cooking time and be ready to pull it out at around 30 minutes.  I hope you take the 15 minutes it takes to put this one together and enjoy it with your family this weekend!


Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chip Pie

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup(1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips (divided)
1 cup Peanut Butter Chips (divided)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (divided)
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
Caramel sauce (optional)

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Beat butter in medium bowl; add eggs and vanilla.  Add in sugar, cream up.  Slowly add flour butter/sugar mixture. Stir in milk chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and nuts; ( you can save out some of each to sprinkle on top) spoon into unbaked pie crust.
3. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool about 1 hour on wire rack; serve warm with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream, if desired. 8 to 10 servings.
To reheat: One slice at a time, microwave at HIGH (100%) 10 to 15 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.