Friday, October 11, 2013

Chocolate Coconut Bars

As I mentioned, I had a busy weekend of baking and another recipe that uses crushed chocolate wafer cookies.  For some reason, I went the longest time without truly discovering the amazing taste of toasted coconut.  That has changed and lately if I find a recipe that involves toasted coconut, I make sure to add it to my list of recipes to try.  This one kinda reminds me of Girl Scout Samoa's, but so much easier than all of the copy cat recipes that are floating around out there.

To start, we need some more crushed chocolate wafer cookies.  Once crushed, mix with melted butter or margarine and sugar.  When I do recipes that involve mixing a crust and then pressing it, I find it just as easy to actually mix it in the pan I am going to bake it in, saves me from washing one more bowl. 

Press into a 9x13 size pan or a good 10x15 pan.  I opted for the smaller pan as I don't have a heavy duty 10x15.  Since this crust gets baked for about 10 minutes I didn't want the pan doing that annoying pop thing when it kinda gets warped in the oven.  Note to self, I need a good 10x15 pan!
Anyway, press that crust mixture into your pan and bake.  It then needs to cool off for about 20 minutes.  This is when it gets really easy.
Sprinkle that crust with 1 cup of pecan pieces and chocolate chips.  Pour one can of sweetened condensed milk over the top and then sprinkle with your shredded coconut.  Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the coconut is lightly toasted.  Now, this is when real willpower comes into play, you need to squash the urge to pick off all the glorious looking coconut and eat it then and there! 
No, you are not allowed to ask me how one does that!  Best idea is to cut and serve as soon as it is cooled so you can pick it off your own piece or better yet, serve up half and keep the other half for yourself!

Chocolate Coconut Bars
3 c. finely ground chocolate wafer cookies or graham crackers, could use a combo
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
1 c. pecan pieces
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut

Mix crush cookies, sugar and butter together.  Press into pan or cookie sheet (can line pan with parchment paper).  Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.  Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle crust with pecans and chocolate chips.  Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top.   If using the 10x15 pan, make sure the milk doesn't drip over the edges.
Sprinkle with coconut and bake for 10-15 or until coconut is nicely toasted.  Let cool before cutting into squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.