Friday, October 4, 2013

Rescuing me from dating nightmares!

I thought I would share an entertaining and crazy story from my dating past.  Over the years I have often times turned to the internet to find love.  Can't really say I have ever found love but I have found some very special guys!  I am a firm believer in going out with someone for a first date, even if you aren't entirely sure if it will go anywhere because you never truly know what the future holds and what could happen.  I learned that lesson from one of my best friends who married someone who started out as a blind date, that she actually never wanted to see again after that first date!  But back to my story, along with the idea of going on a lot of first dates, I also believe that an hour or so for dinner won't kill anyone, it is just an hour!  Well, that idea has been tested to the extreme for me, twice.  So much so I engaged the help of friends who just so happened to have a dire 'emergency' and only my presence would solve all of their problems.
The first date took place at Thanksgiving Point.  We met there and started walking around the grounds and gardens, it didn't take long for him to start making negative comments about Utah Mormons.  Well, as most of you know, I am born and raised here in Utah, and am a Mormon so I played devils advocate until he stopped.  By the way, this guy is also LDS!
He then moved onto the topic of the military and started making negative comments about those who choose to serve in the military.  Once again, several of you know that I have 3 brothers that have or are currently serving and I am very proud of them for doing so.  When I mentioned that I had brothers serving, he jumped off that topic pretty quickly and moved right on over to how bad things are in West Valley City and how high the crime rate is.  At the time of this date I was living on the east side of the valley, but was born and raised in the heart of West Valley City.  In fact, one of the nicknames I once heard for my high school was Drive By High!  When he took a breather from that negative rant I informed him about where I had grown up and gone to school.  He finally stopped talking and hopefully realized that negative rant after negative rant was getting him no where with me!  He then took a break to use the restroom and I promptly contacted one of my roommates to enlist her help in ensuring that my dreadful date wasted no more of my time that night!  My fast thinking friend invented a car accident and she desperately needed my help.  I took the call from her while standing in front of him and both of us acted the part to make sure everything seemed legit.  I have no idea if he believed me or not, he didn't argue about the date ending nor did I ever hear from him again, but either way it finally ended!  I know that using deception to end a date isn't recommended and I don't endorse that, but at the time I just didn't know what else to do!  Hopefully he learned a lesson that being negative, regardless of the topic, just isn't attractive when out on a date. 
Since this post is long enough, I will share the second story about needing to be rescued another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.