Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Energy Bites

This is another 'healthy' treat that I just love!  I usually have a bag of these in my freezer and if someone didn't know any better they would think I was storing raw cookie dough balls in there, they are just that good!  The beauty of these little guys is that you don't actually bake them, so less chances of messing them up!  You start with a bunch of yummy ingredients like oats, peanut butter, honey, flax seed, sunflower seeds, coconut and chocolate chips.
Throw in a little vanilla and salt for good measure.  Mix all of that up and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  Using a cookie scoop, a spoon or your hands, make into balls.  I put them in pie tins or if my freezer is really empty I fill up a cookie sheet.  Freeze for an hour or so.  Can be left over night.
Once frozen I put all of them in a gallon sized ziplock bag and store them in the freezer.  When I want something sweet and I grab one or two and enjoy!  Now I keep them in the freezer since I think that keeping them in the fridge allows them to get too soft and the chance of them turning into one giant energy bite increase.  When I put 2-3 in a little bag for a treat at work I store those in the fridge, but try to let nothing squish them into one large bite.  These have a been a hit with everyone who has tried them.  Because they are so yummy, need to stay cold and are on the healthy side, I admit that I am not great about sharing them, but now all of you can make them for yourself!

Energy Bites
3 c. rolled oats (not quick)
1 1/2 c. peanut or almond butter
1 c. of honey or agave (agave is sweeter but doesn't seem to stay together as well)
1 1/2 c. flax seeds (can use whole or ground or a combo of both.  I typically use a combo of just the whole seeds)
1 c. shredded coconut (can use sweetened or unsweetened)
1 c. of sunflower seeds (can use salted or unsalted, I prefer salted)
1 1/2 c. of chocolate chips (any variety)
3/4 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 tsp. of vanilla

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.  Roll into small balls and freeze.  Once frozen, store in ziplock bag in the freezer.  I can get about 90 bite sized balls from this size of a batch.  Is easily cut down for smaller batches.

This can be very versatile, swap out chocolate for butterscotch chips or add in dried fruit, the sky is the limit!

Nutritional Info:
Serving Size: 3 bites
Fat: 9 g.
Sodium: 62.7 mg
Potassium: 80.1 mg
Carbs: 17.2 g
Protein: 3.6 g.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.