Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pumpkin Squares

So you should know, I am not a fan of pumpkin pie!  If someone gives me a slice and expects me to eat it then it had better have at least twice as much cool whip/whip cream on it!  Since it is tradition to eat pumpkin pie this time of year, or at least in the month of November, for the longest time I was kinda out of luck.  Years and years ago I was at a meeting, when at the end they passed out these squares that I was so impressed with I found the woman who had made them and got the recipe from her.  Since then, I have been making these and bringing them to my family Thanksgiving Dinner.  If you enjoy pumpkin pie, you will enjoy these.  If you have avoided pumpkin pie, like me, but enjoy a light pumpkin flavor, you will love these!  They are kinda like a pumpkin pie squeezed between two sweet crusts made up of a yellow cake mix. 
To start, mix your slightly softened butter with a portion of the yellow cake mix.  I have found that for this type of thing, if I grate the butter, it mixes easier, without getting it too soft.
Once it is mixed up you can press it into a 9x13 pan.

You are pretty much going to have to plan on using your fingers to get it in the corners and spread evenly.  While at times it may not seem like enough to fill the bottom, I promise it will.
Next, mix up the filling which consists of the pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar and pumpkin pie seasoning.
Once that is all mixed up, pour that onto the crust.  Next take the remaining cake mix and butter and mix those up to create a mixture that you can sprinkle onto the pumpkin filling.

Go ahead and bake this for about 45 minutes at 350. 
It should be fairly set.  Let it cool before serving.  I forgot to get a picture of the individual squares, but trust me, these are good!  These can be made the night before you need them, just keep covered until you are ready to serve.
I have seen and tried different versions of this type of dessert.  I just love them and hope you love it too!

Pumpkin Squares

1 pkg yellow cake mix (divided)
1 1/2 cube butter, softened and divided
3 eggs
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 c. sugar, divided
2 c. pumpkin
2/3 c. evaporated milk

Crust:
1. Mix all but but 1 cup of cake mix with 1 of the eggs and 1 cube of butter.  Press into 9x13 pan.
Filling:
2. Mix pumpkin, 2 eggs, 3/4 c of the sugar, pumpkin pie spice and evaporated milk together and pour over crust.
Topping:
3. Mix remaining 1 cup of cake mix with remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and last 1/2 cube of butter.
4. Sprinkle topping over filling and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes
5. Let cool and serve with whip cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.