Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Key Lime Pie

It is summer time, which for me hopefully means desserts that are fast, easy and don't heat up my kitchen!  I also think that tart desserts seem more obvious in the summer.  A family friend and adopted aunt always requests this Key Lime Pie for her birthday dessert.  I love making it because it is so easy!
You could make it fancier or more homemade by making the crust from scratch, but store bought graham cracker crusts are just so easy and still taste good!
The filling couldn't be easier, some sweetened condensed milk, Key Lime juice, sour cream and the zest of one lime.
So the first time I made this, I did attempt to juice enough Key Lime's to get me the required amount of juice, but never again!  Those suckers are smaller than standard limes and it took me forever!  Store bought lime juice works great and the flavor is still amazing!  After it is mixed up you bake it, yes bake, sorry folks.  But only for 10-12 minutes, or even less.  You don't want any browning and if you start to see little bubbles at the 8 minute mark, go ahead and remove.
Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries if you have them.  It is tart enough you will need something to help tone it down a bit!
At the suggestion of a friend I might be trying this with lemon juice and maybe a swirl of raspberry jam!

Key Lime Pie

Ingredients:

1 9" graham cracker crust
3 cups of sweetened condensed milk (just over 2 cans worth, I just used the 2 cans and added a bit more sour cream and it turned out great)
1/2 cup of sour cream
3/4 cup Key Lime juice
Zest of one lime

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest.  Mix well and pour into crust.
3. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until tiny bubbles appear and burst on the surface.  Do no brown the top!  Chill pie before serving and garnish with fruit and whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.