Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee Cheesecake

Since it has been awhile since I made a cheesecake I decided it was time to make one.  Of course I couldn't just make a basic one.  I am also a big fan of creme brulee so this dessert was a perfect combo.
Creme Brulee when done right is amazing, one day I'll invest in a torch to really do it right!  In the mean time though.....
But back to this cheesecake.
By using real vanilla beans instead of just the extract I was able to take this cheesecake up an extra notch.
Cheesecake is actually quite basic, cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla.  That is all!  Using real vanilla beans can be a bit of a pin.  Most likely you will want to soak them in some water to soften up the outside before splitting them in half with a sharp knife and then using a spoon to scrape out the seeds.  One bean is equivalent to 1 tsp of vanilla.  When your cream cheese is softened, mix in sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
Not sure if you can see the little black flecks or not, but that is the vanilla bean.  Since my bean was probably a little too dry and I wasn't able to get it all cleaned out I did add a tiny bit of vanilla extract.  Once that is all mixed in, pour it into your crust.
I know I can be lazy by not making one, but these are just so easy!  Pop that into the oven, I recommend having a water bath in there too.  That is just pan with some water in it.  I put it in the oven as I warmed it up.  The moisture it creates helps reduce or prevent the cheesecake from cracking.  Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the center is almost set.

Mine does have that one crack, I should have rotated it or removed it a minute or so earlier.  Let it cool completely before refrigerating at least 3 hours.
Right before serving, mix the brown sugar with some water to make a thick paste.  Spread that over top of the cheesecake.
 Put your oven rack about 6" from heat and broil for 1-2 minutes, until the topping is bubbly.  Serve immediately.  Store leftovers in the fridge.
This was the first time I attempted a creme brulee top where I combined the brown sugar with water.  Usually I have just sprinkled the brown sugar on top.  I would love to have used a torch on this.....one day!
This ended up being very good and it was a nice variation from regular cheesecake.

Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee Cheesecake

Ingredients:
2 pkg (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1 graham cracker crust
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbls water

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until well blended.  Add whole eggs and egg yolk, mix until blended.  Pour into crust.
2. Bake for 35 minutes or until center is almost set.  Cool completely.  Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
3. Just before serving, turn oven onto broil.  Combine brown sugar and water in small bowl, spread over cheesecake.  Place in oven 4-6 inches from heat for 1-2 minutes or until topping is hot and bubbly.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.