Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Toffee Squares

You may or may not have noticed a trend when it comes to the sweet treats that I make, but I always make them either for a family dinner or to share with my co-workers, at either or both jobs.  This is a recipe I had pinned forever ago and finally decided to make and share it with the people at my day job. 
I randomly had everything on hand, including the peanuts and butterscotch chips so I was glad when this came together so quickly!
Once again I have found that measuring out as many ingredients in advance really does make it so much faster to put it together, I didn't have to keep referring to what was going in and the amount and just deal with the ingredients themselves.  My chance of messing up went drastically down with that move!
Mix about half the ingredients together to form a thick cookie dough.
It instructed that the dry ingredients should be combined separately, not sure what that actually does for it so if one of you knows, please share!  Once those ingredients are all mixed in, press it into a 9x9 square baking dish.
Now the instructions also say to line the pan with parchment paper, I have never had any luck with that, seems to create more stress for me, so didn't bother with it for these.
Next you sprinkle all the remaining goodies on top.
If you have been paying attention you will notice that this bad boy is chock full of peanuts, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, pecans and coconut!  It makes for a thick dough so it does require a decent cook time.  Since making this I have decided that when I make it again I will hold off on the coconut until it is half way through the baking time.  The coconut was getting toasted and done while the bars themselves needed more time.
As good as these are warm, you are going to want to let them cool and set up before serving!  Feel free to warm them up for consumption!  Oh, and yes, I will be making these again one day!


Toffee Squares

Ingredients

2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter, softened ( I used butter flavored Crisco sticks since I had some on hand)
2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups chopped peanuts
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut flakes

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9x9 square baking pan.
2. In medium bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
3. Beat butter until fluffy.  Add brown sugar and continue beating until creamy.  Add eggs one at a time followed by vanilla.  Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until blended.  Try not to over mix.  Stir in peanuts and 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
4. Transfer dough to prepared pan and spread or press into the pan, keeping it even.  Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and pecans on top.  (Feel free to hold the coconut until half way through).
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes (add coconut around minute 15) or until edges are golden and topping is bubbly and lightly browned.  Cool before cutting into squares.

Recipe courtesy of:  http://www.bakeorbreak.com/2012/07/toffee-squares/

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

.