Friday, November 15, 2013

Almond Poppy Seed Bread


For as long as I can remember I have always loved poppy seed muffins, how could you not?!  When I first found this recipe I knew I had to try it. I'm not actually a big baker of breads.  I have never made traditional bread with yeast before, except maybe once in home ec, but that was eons ago!  I have gotten more into the sweet breads like zucchini bread, but this poppy seed bread takes the cake!  Or is it bread?  Anyway, let me show you how it's done!
The ingredients are fairly basic, just make sure you have plenty of poppy seeds on hand and some almond extract.  I have always enjoyed the slightly sweeter flavor of an almond poppy seed vs the lemon variety, I would imagine you might be able to switch out the extracts and get a great result.  If anyone does give that try, start with a half batch, just in case. One thing I like about this one is that you start at the top of the ingredient list and just put everything in the mixing bowl.  For this one, I do actually use my Bosch instead of my trusty bowl.  If anyone happens to take a close look at my pictures you might notice the sugar substitute, I used that for half of the called for sugar and then a random container that looks like one of those jumbo nut things you get at Costco.  That is in fact what it is, but it contains whole wheat pastry flour.  I also used that for half of the called for flour.  I haven't messed with this recipe too much to make it all healthy like, but those are minor and didn't affect the taste at all but it makes me feel less guilty!  Next time I make it, I think I might try swapping out some of the oil for some greek yogurt.  This batch is going to lots of different people though, so I played it safe.  Anyway, get it all added and mixed up good.
If you are a dough eater, you will want to try this!  Just make sure you save some for your loaf pans!  Since I am giving these away, I used some small loaf pans that my mom has 'lent' me, on a long term basis!  I have found that using soup ladle is a great way to disburse the dough without making a huge mess.
Fill about 3/4 full and bake.  Now if doing lots of little ones, definitely put them on a cookie sheet to make life easier now and later on.
Baking time varies based on pan size and such.  When done they should look like this:
Aren't they just beautiful?
These would be amazing just like this, so moist and yummy, but they get even better!  In the final minutes of baking you make a nice citrus glaze to be poured on top.  It consists of orange juice, sugar, almond extract and either butter or butter extract.
Once the sugar has dissolved, let it come to a boil for just a minute.
Carefully pour that over each and every loaf.  I do it nice and slow to make sure that every crack in the bread gets thoroughly saturated and soaked.  If you only want a light drizzle topping, cut the recipe in half.  I don't usually end up using all of it, but I like the option.  It will spill over the edge of the loaf pan, so another good reason why to have them sitting on a cookie sheet, it gets a little messy!

Don't they look even better now?!?!  Man alive, I should have brought some to work with me today!
So once the bread has cooled, slide a knife around the edge to loosen and remove from the pan.  If they are still warm, let them sit on a cooling rack until you are ready to cover with plastic or package up for a gift.

I don't mean to go on, but I seriously love this bread.  I was removing these last night around 8:30 and even though I had already brushed my teeth, to discourage late night snacking, I found myself eating every last morsel that was still in the pan after removal!  Then I realized that I needed to take a picture that showed the inside of a loaf, so of course I had to cut into one and then I since I couldn't give that loaf away I just had to eat that slice!  I will be making these at least once more before the year is out since I feel it is my duty to share the poppy seed love, especially around the holiday season.  I hope all of you give this one a try as it is easy and so very yummy!

  • p almond extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp butter flavoring extract (or 1 1/2 tsp melted butter can be substituted)

  • Glaze:

  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp butter flavor extract (or 1 1/2 tsp melted butter can be substituted)

  • Read more at http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/06/poppyseed-bread-from-not-so-desperate.html#pAAbzUExcGVhlE1I.99

    Bread:
    3 C flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    3 eggs
    1 1/8 C cooking oil
    2 1/4 C sugar
    1 1/2 C milk
    1 12 Tbls poppy seeds
    1 1/2 tsp almond extract
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 1/2 tsp butter flavoring (or 1 1/2 tsp of melted butter)

    Glaze:
    1/4 C orange juice
    3/4 C sugar
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp butter flavoring (or 1 1/2 tsp of melted butter)

    Instructions:
    1. For the bread: Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients together.  Pour into greased baking pans.  Makes 2 large loaves or 6-8 small loaves, depending on the size.  For the large pans, bake 50-60 minutes.  For the small pans, start checking at around 35 minutes.
    2. For the glaze: Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan until sugar dissolves and then let it boil for about 30 seconds or so.  Pour over still warm loaves.  Scrape excess off the pan if need be.
    3. Let cool before removing from pans and enjoying!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    You might also like

    .